Red Light Camera Infractions

If you have received a red light camera citation you may elect to pay the citation, requesting a hearing, or request an extension to the payment due date:

  • Pay On-line:

This is a link to a third-party website independent from the Maitland Police Department, which does not manage content of the external site. ​

  • Pay By Phone:  Citation Processing Center: 1-855-370-4229

  • ​​​Requesting a hearing or extension must be made in person at the Maitland Police Department:

​          Maitland Police Department
          1837 Fennell Street
          Maitland, Florida 32751

Red Light Camera - Frequently Asked Questions

Why does the City elect to use Traffic Enforcement Cameras?
Keeping our citizens and visitors safe as they travel the streets of Maitland is a priority for our City. According to a recent study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a study of large cities with longstanding programs found that cameras reduced the fatal red light running crash rate by 24 percent and the rate of all types of fatal crashes at signalized intersections by 17 percent. (IIHS January 24, 2013). 

The goal of this program is to reduce red light running violations, red light crashes, and red light injury crashes in a cost effective way to make the City of Maitland’s roadways safer for our citizens and visitors. 

I was sent a Notice of Violation - why did I get this?
Based upon images captured by the automated system, your vehicle was determined to have committed a red light violation. As the owner of the vehicle, the Notice of Violation is mailed to you. For every violation captured by the camera, a member of the Maitland Police Department reviews the video and approves the issuance of the Notice of Violation before it is mailed to you.

The still photographs on the Notice of Violation show me stopped at the line, why did I get a ticket?
The still photographs are taken at the same time as the violation. The still photographs show the car at the stop bar and after to illustrate the color of the light. The video will show the moving violation. Please review the video for the violation itself.

I was issued a red light ticket, but I was not driving the car at the time of the violation?
The statute makes a presumption that the registered owner of the vehicle was the driver of the car. If you were not the driver of the car, you have the option of filling out an affidavit provided with your Notice of Violation to swear under oath who was driving the car. If you do not fill out the affidavit, you will be the person who answers for the violation. Ultimately, the statute does not require the City to prove who was actually driving the car.

How do I contest the charges?
You must come down to the Maitland Police Department in person and fill out a formal request to contest the charges.   Florida Law requires that certain information be relayed to you regarding your choice, and this will be done at the Police Department.  The Maitland Police Department is located at:

1837 Fennell Street, Maitland, Florida 32751.  

NOTE: The Maitland Police Department will not accept requests for hearings by mail.

How do I pay for the violation?
Go to You will be required to enter your citation and PIN number which is on the top right portion of your Notice of Violation. You can also view the incident on this site. If you feel uncomfortable following the directions online, or do not have access to a computer, the Police Department can also accept payments if you appear in person at:

1837 Fennell Street, Maitland, Florida 32751.

How do I assert an allowable defense?
Follow the instructions on the back of your Notice of Violation, and make sure the document is notarized.

What if I elect to have a hearing but need to change the date or I change my mind?
Once you elect to contest a hearing, if you need to change the date or change your mind, there is a $50 cancellation fee set by statute. If you need to change the date, you must do so within 5 days of the set hearing date by writing and deliver to the Maitland Police Department.

Do I need a lawyer to represent me in front of the Local Hearing Officer?
You can choose to retain a lawyer if you wish to be represented or you can represent yourself.   The choice is yours.  The hearing will be an administrative hearing and not a formal court hearing.   The rules of evidence do not apply at this hearing, so you or whoever represents you, will not make any formal legal objections.  The hearing officer will simply watch the video, listen to what the person charged wants to say, listen to any additional witnesses, and make a finding based on what was presented. The decision to retain a lawyer is up to you.

​Maitland Police Department